Thursday, August 20, 2009

Well, so much for weekly updates :)! I think it has been over 11 months or so since I last posted. Without falling into the habit of giving excuses I am going to attempt once again to write every now and then with no unrealistic expectations I so often commit myself to abiding by. This past year has been a continued journey into new depths of freedom. Paul declares we are a "new creation" in Christ and I feel that I am discovering that reality in ways I have never known before, even though I have heard it most of my life. Learning to live in the reality of God's Kingdom and daily participate in His mission is so transformative not to mention thrilling. Encounter Jesus - never be the same. Encounter Jesus in those around you - never be the same. However, Jesus shows up in some of the most surprising places - or not, depending on your perspective. The gospel of Luke proclaims the entrance of the reality of God's Kingdom that turns the world and even the "religious" views of reality and truth upside down and affects every aspect of life and society. I love it! It is to the poor, oppressed, broken, weak that Jesus pronounces his message of hope. Sometimes I'm afraid as American Christians we tend to spiritualize the message of Jesus to the point that we totally miss the fact that he was speaking to economic and physical realities as well as spiritual. I struggle more and more identifying with churches and "Christians" who live almost oblivious to the suffering around them while only focusing on their own comfort or gain - bigger more beautiful buildings are not what we need, rather a people living out the transforming reign of God in their communities, homes, and places of work and participating in the restoration of creation. I struggle with this myself - what does this look like in my daily life as mom, wife, sister, and friend? In what ways am I too sucked in ever so subtly by the consumerism and individualism and success-driven culture around me? What does it mean to take up the cross and follow Jesus? Well....more musings later! Off to some desperately needed sleep after a long day with two very busy boys. Kyle had a 12 hour shift today that turned into more of a 16 hour shift and he is finally home! No work tomorrow! Yippee!

No comments: